Representing those accused of a criminal offence.
AREAS OF EXPERTISE
- Drug & Weapon Offences
- DUI/Impaired Charges
- IRS Applications
- Assault & Threats
Every person accused of a crime is entitled to a defence.
Being investigated by the police and being charged with a criminal offence can be one of the most difficult times in a person’s life. Criminal law is not a perfect science and mistakes are often made. The circumstances that lead to a person’s arrest can be complicated and far from clear. Events may be interpreted differently by different people, witnesses may be mistaken, statements, text messages, emails, and other forms of communication can be misunderstood. People sometimes lie. No single person is perfect, good people make honest mistakes, and sometimes people are caught up in situations that quickly become out of hand. While the police are supposed to serve the people of the community, individual police officers and police departments in Alberta cannot always be trusted to conduct honest, fair, and professional investigations.
If you are under investigation or if you have been arrested, choosing the right lawyer for you is one of the most important decisions you will make. Legal Aid Alberta prioritizes choice of Counsel and you should request a lawyer who you trust. It is your lawyers’ job to know every detail of your case, to give you the best possible advice, to advocate on your behalf (to ensure that your side of the story is told), and if possible, attempt to resolve your case without going to court. Sometimes your lawyer will best serve your interests by talking with the Crown Prosecution Services and making a deal that everyone can live with. At all times, it will be your lawyers’ job to protect you and ensure that you are treated fairly and make sure that the police and the Crown Prosecution Survives abide by the strict rules that they are required to by law. At other times, your lawyer will need to tell the Court your story and make a judge or jury understand what happened and why it happened. If you choose Nelson & Nelson to represent you, you can be sure of the following:
- You will have lawyers who will work tirelessly for you. When you hire Nelson & Nelson you do not hire a specific lawyer, you hire the firm. All lawyers at Nelson & Nelson work closely together, discuss your matter in the strictest of confidence, and brainstorm to find the best strategy for you.
- Your case will be prepared and researched with meticulous detail, and you will be provided with the information you need to grasp every detail of the process.
- You will be provided with the highest quality of advice and representation.
- Lawyers at Nelson & Nelson fully understand the impact that a criminal investigation and trial has on you, and we will do everything in our power to assist you through such difficult times. We look to win or resolve every case and will never give up, no matter what the odds.
- Most importantly, we take a client focused approach where we keep you updated every step of the way, are always available to speak, and strive to go above and beyond for our clients.
If your case is one where the police have misbehaved and caused you real harm, we will represent you on the criminal side and then provide you with legal services on the civil side so that you can be put back in the position you would have been in had the harm not occurred. We care for our clients as we care for our family and ensure that every avenue that the law offers is explored.
SERVING THE COMMUNITY SINCE 1919
ARE YOU LOOKING FOR HELP FROM A LAWYER?
Over the course of his forty-year career, Brian, was able to practice with many skilled professionals, including Thomas F. Glenn, and Gerard C. Hawco Q.C. , who was later appointed to serve as a Justice the Alberta Court of Queen’s Bench.
Since his retirement, Brian’s son, Stephen B Nelson, has taken over the firm bringing it into higher and new heights, being recognized as one of Calgary’s leading law firms for personal injury claims.
Nelson & Nelson has continued to carry on the strong values set by Seth H. Nelson, expanding their services to multiple areas, such as family, corporate litigation, criminal, wills, and estate law.